Ever since I was a little kid the beach has been a rejuvenating destination. I remember loading up our tent trailer and driving down the coast line to visit friends on the southern most beaches of Oregon. With my brothers and sisters I would build sandcastles and play in the waves. We would explore tide pools and collect sea shells and rocks. Even when a sneaker wave came up and tried to claim me for its own I was saved by my mother and my confidence in our relationship grew. At 16 my prom date and I drove to the beach after prom despite the explicit instructions from my mom. On the way home we skimmed the side of the car along the guard rail. My mom's response "cars can be fixed people can't" another beach lesson.
Today the beach is a wonderful retreat that I love to share with my children. Even if only for a few hours. It is funny how I can drive 3 hours to the beach spend a couple of hours there and feel like I have a whole new lease on life.
This last trip I took the kids, the dogs, and me. We had a blast.

We went to what I am going to call Dog Beach in Cayacus. This is the beach where locals come to walk their dogs. Haley and Charlee really loved running on the beach.

I took my great nephew with us too. Gabe and Alissa danced and played in the waves like only children can. Haley and I were hovering near by just in case a sneaker wave came up.

I love to see my kids just let go and have fun. It is great to feel that beach free feeling and know that the kids feel it too.

Alissa and Gabe found some pretty beach flowers. Alissa decided that Zaney puppy needed to take a picture with the beach flower.

Off and running. I was so happy to have found a beach that my dogs were welcome at.

The digging begins. Can't go to the beach without digging a big hole in the sand.

Apparently dogs like to dig big holes in the sand too. It was a big ole digging festival. The kids thought it was great that the dogs wanted to dig with them.

Haley wanted a cute photo of her and Charlee on the beach. Mission accomplished.

We discovered jelly fish on the beach towards the end of the day so we picked a place with no jelly fish to run around in. There were tons of silver dollars too. Such a fabulous find!

Gabe is a natural at the beach. He really looks like he is in his element.
For me it was a great release of stress to sit on the beach and watch the waves crash. I enjoyed playing with the kids and the dogs and taking a ton of pictures. I need to do this more often...next beach visit is to see Jill!
No comments:
Post a Comment